Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Programming: Don't Program When Programming isn't Required

My friend Richard Bejtlich recently asked for help with a website redesign. Considering my ever-low opinion of programmers who are under the assumption that they are web designers, I offered my usual advice of “hire a professional”. In a case like his, the web site he has provides information on his business, so offering goofy JavaScript or database interactions seems a little outside of his scope. Since this is basically an electronic brochure, I recommended that he find a graphic artist. Not every project requires programming, and adding a PHP backend or unnecessary additions can introduce unexpected results (IE: it would be embarrassing for a security consultant to have his website hacked).

No comments: