Monday, October 24, 2005

Ars-Technica article about Monad/MSH

Ars-Technica has a fairly in depth article about Microsofts new Command Line interface, MSH. After reading the articles I was very impressed. This is a much needed improvement for Windows. One of the strengths of *nix over Windows has always been its strong scripting support. This looks like a step in the right direction for Microsoft. Although my already existing script library is pretty huge and I won’t be migrating any old scripts over from Cygwin/Bash, if this lives up to the hype I may be writing all my future scripts in MSH. The Object Oriented nature seemed a little strange at first, but after reading the article it seems like it would be fairly intuitive, given that you understand the object model. Despite some of the criticism I read about it on Slashdot and OSNews, I am actually looking forward to it. I would have liked to have taken this for a spin myself and taken a few of my already existing scripts to see how I could implement this using Monad/MSH, however Microsofts Beta Site appears to be by invite only, and I am not on their list. If anyone knows how I can get a copy of this, I would appreciate it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John;

Did you ever get a link to the download location for Monad? It's actually publicly available simply from download.microsoft.com. Just do a search for Monad.

We'll be releasing an updated beta pretty soon, as well. Keep your eye on the Monad blogs for more information!