I’ve had an old Bluetooth keyboard I used to use with my HP Ipaq. It is a model number FA287A. I’ve always had a fondness for this keyboard and using it with my mobile devices. It has a number pad on the top, and it has a nice feel to the keys. I managed to get this keyboard working on my HTC Touch Vogue with some help from this driver.
I am happy to discover that this keyboard, which has served me well for years, lives on with my Motorola Droid. That’s right, this oddball keyboard that was designed specifically for the HP Ipaq, works with my Android based mobile phone. How is this possible? Thanks to a little application called KeyPro available in the Android Marketplace, and at http://www.mymobilegear.com/AndroidKBDriver.php (note, this site was down at the time of this writing, the URL comes from Google).
To get this working, I used the following steps.
- Installed KeyPro from the Marketplace.
- Opened up Droids settings app.
- Went into Language and Keyboard, and clicked on the check next to KeyPro.
- Clicked Back.
- Clicked on Wireless and Networks.
- Turned on Bluetooth.
- Went into Bluetooth Settings
- Clicked on Scan for Devices, it found “BT-FoldableKB”
- Paired with it, and put in Passcode “0000”
- Pushed the Home button
- Opened the apps menu, started KeyPro
- Opened the Settings menu.
- Changed the Keyboard Model to “Freedom Universal”
- Clicked on the Scan next to Keyboard Address textbox.
- It found the “BT-FoldableKB”.
- Scrolled down and clicked on Save.
Keypro then showed status at bottom of app saying “initialized”, then “connecting”, then “connected”. With it connected, I clicked on the Search button. Nothing happened. So I held my finger up to the search text box for a second, and a dialog poped up for Input Method. I clicked on Input Method, and selected KeyPro. And guess what. Now what I typed showed up. I can use my Bluetooth keyboard on my Android. This works out great when I want to take notes in a meeting and I don’t want to bring my laptop with me, and another reason to leave my IPod Touch at home.