Monday, January 25, 2010

Droid: WiFi Tethering/Hotspot on the Droid

Since the announcement of the Pre+ for Verizon would have WiFi hotspot built in, I have been salivating for the wireless hotspot functionality. Of course, I kicked myself because I just bought a Droid. Well, I can hold off my wanting because some clever hackers figured out how to do the same thing with the Droid. That’s right, the Droid is capable of being a WiFi hotspot.

So how is this feat accomplished?

That’s it. Pretty easy. Took me about 20 minutes to do. Although not indicated in the article because it assumes prior understanding, the “ADB” application refered to requires the Android SDK, and is a tool located under the “tools” folder. Also, the step to “flash_image” was actually not needed since this is part of the Android Root Helper application. Also, during the WirelessTetherPather programs final stages, it asks you to “login, and run the tether app”. This actually refers to running the “Wireless tether for Root users” application under your applications menu on the Droid, not running it using Busybox using ADB. That step confused me for some reason.

If your having problems finding the “Droid Root Helper” application, you can use the one I found here. Apparently, it is also in the Marketplace.

That’s it, the last little void from my HTC Touch has been filled. Seriously, how could Verizon NOT want this? This is just so freaking awesome, it should be a standard feature.

3 comments:

Aileen said...

Seriously, i've been thinking on getting a phone that isi android. What can you recommend?

John Ward said...

Honestly, its hard to say, and is all going to depend on your carrier, your needs, and such. The phones to have right now are the Nexus One and the Motorola Droid, and the Droid Eris. But this landscape will change in the next few months with new Android phones coming to market from other manufacturers. I chose the Droid at the time because it was the only Android 2.x out at the time and I didnt want to wait and wasn't sure if the Nexus One would support EVDO (the network that Verizon uses). I am extremely happy with the Motorola Droid, and this is from someone who has used an iPhone and a Windows Mobile device. Plus, with steps in this article, the Droid does what the Pre Plus does, which is the other phone I was considering. The Droid is definitly a techie phone, but it does everything my desktop PC did 5 years ago and more, and in the palm of my hand. The advantage of the Nexus One over the Droid is it does use a faster processor, and it is open to almost any carrier.

Hope that helps.

John

Unknown said...

i am wondering if this will work with the backflip too?