Friday, November 03, 2006

Windows: Running Scheduled Tasks Manually from the Command Line

I ran into an issue on a Windows XP system where the RUN command for all Scheduled Tasks was disabled and grayed out. I needed to manually run one of my scheduled tasks, and could not do it. I am not sure if this is due to domain/local policies or registry trickery, but regardless I found a way around it. Microsoft included a neat little utility called SCHTASKS.exe under the C:\Winnt\System32 folder that will allow a user to control Scheduled Tasks from the command line. I had a task called CESL that I wanted to run, so to run that task, I ran the following command:

C:\winnt\system32\schtasks.exe /run /tn CESL

That took care of my problem.

3 comments:

Lawrence O'Connor said...

pretty helpful - unfortunately I get a 'cannot start scheduler service' message when I try to run.
The scheduler service is running and tasks are executing correctly via the windows task scheduler GUI.
Anyone else come across this?

Mike said...

Many thanks.

Anonymous said...

thanks .. you just remind of this .. I suggest you edit a batch file and shortcut to quick launcher ..put a fancy icon to it ;-)

eg:
=========
schtasks.exe /run /tn Job-name
exit
===================

mids